Svaneti Tourism Development Strategy and Action Plan
Client: GRETA PROJECT/ EUROPEAN UNION
The Austrian Development Agency (ADA), with the financial support from the Delegation of the European Union (EU), Government of Sweden and the Federal Government of Austria, implements the “Green Economy: Sustainable Mountain Tourism and Organic Agriculture (GRETA)” project. The project implements activities to Improve the business environment for organic agriculture and mountain tourism; create new and improved income opportunities in sustainable mountain tourism and organic agriculture and strengthen the capacity of stakeholders active in these sectors. GRETA is implemented between 2019 and 2023 in selected regions of Georgia covering the Mestia, Lentekhi, Tsageri, Oni, Ambrolauri, Sachkhere, Chiatura and Tkibuli municipalities.
The purpose of the assignment is to elaborate a Tourism Development Strategy and Action Plan (Destination Management Plan) for Svaneti in an inclusive manner with members of all fields of society and interests. Svaneti is situated in north western Georgia along the southern slopes of the Greater Caucasus mountains.
Our company has submitted technical and financial offer for this tender.
The assignment comprises of six parts:
- Analyze existing tourism products and infrastructure in the whole region and create a tourism potential analysis for new sustainable tourism product development, as well as improving the existing ones
- Establish an understanding of regional and local sentiments towards tourism development, including the broadest possible involvement of the local population to reflect their opinions, hopes and fears
- Closely cooperate with the Svaneti DMO to elaborate on the findings
- Cooperate with other relevant stakeholders, including local municipality, Georgian National Tourism Administration, Private sector SMEs involved in tourism, NGOs supporting tourism
- Formulate a 5 year Tourism Development Strategy and Action Plan (Destination Management Plan) for Upper Svaneti containing prioritised actions within an annual rolling programme, identifying stakeholders responsible for their delivery.
- Formulate a 5 year Tourism Development Strategy and Action Plan (Destination Management Plan) for Lower Svaneti containing prioritised actions within an annual rolling programme, identifying stakeholders responsible for their delivery.
ICN-Artea has been invited as an external company to form part of the pull of experts in the group’s training sessions.
As experts on cultural tourism we are contributing with our know-how and best practices in terms of strategy and management of cultural heritage
This post is also available in: Español