The objective of the project is to formulate a national tourism sustainable plan that would transform the national tourism industry to a world class status and guide its development over the medium term.
Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinique are sun adn sand mature tourism detinations, which are trying to find its place in the tourism industry world with the support of the OECS context. This context implies cooperation but, at the same time, competition with the rest of the Eastern Caribbean islands.
One of the main issuesto be answered though the project is how to make Grenada a sustainable destination in a holistic way, involving the entire tourism value chain and the local population. The post COVID 19 tourism era, calls for healthy destinations connectd to nature and a well-preserved environment.
- Assess the performance of the national tourism industry over the past ten years
- Assess the current administrative setup and relationships (Ministry of Tourism & Civil Aviation; Ministry of Carriacou & Petite Martinique Affairs & Local Government; Grenada Tourism Authority) and their impact on the tourism industry’s development
- Assess regional and global tourism trends and their application to the medium to long term growth of the national tourism industry
- Review existing tourism legislations and propose amendments or new legislations to foster growth of the industry
- Propose new sustainable products & services, as well as packaging that are integrated into mainstream tourism
- Carry out market segmentation inclusive of current and new markets, including highlighting the behaviour of the market segments targeted and how the targeted segments are influenced, and what the best marketing strategies for targeting and influencing these market segments would be.
- Conduct projections of economic and financial impact of different tourism policies and reports
- Better define the role of the private and public sectors in developing the tourism industry
- Develop investment attraction approaches that are aligned with broader national vision of the tourism industry’s development
- Improve support for and positioning of community-based tourism
- Organise series of stakeholders’ workshops to examine their contribution and role in the growth of the industry
- Map, grade and refine the industry
- Define processes / methods to widen the scope and reach of local tourism awareness
- Identify mechanisms to financially support the development of tourism businesses
- Develop concrete objectives for the development of tourism, as well as a Monitoring and Evaluation framework that will help monitor the achievement of the objectives and enable monitoring of the industry’s growth and contribution to national economic development.
- Develop an implementation plan that identifies specific transformational interventions addressing product development in Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinique
Linked to the COVID 19 crisis management in terms of tourism strategy, is considered paramount to carry out a prospective study that can estimate the main tourism markets affecting Grenada. In this regard, we have carried out a prospective study to estimate the projections of tourists arrivals to Grenada between 2020 and 2028.
The methodology works in four steps:
- Building up the baseline scenario with structural time series analysis
- Estimating the epidemic dynamics and the re-opening dates of the market with SIR (susceptible infected recovered) models
- Estimating the tourism demand decrease due to negative income shocks
- Estimating the tourism demand decrease due to lack of confidence in traveling.
The study provides data in order to define the national strategies in terms of markets recovery and allows define tourism policies.