The main goal of the Program is the consolidation of ecotourism products and services within and around selected protected areas, while at the same time strengthening conservation activities and economic opportunities for neighboring communities.
The design of a broad marketing strategy had as main objective to position the protected areas in the international nature tourism market. The awareness of local population and their involvement in the preservation of protected areas was also a principal challenge.
The design of the marketing strategy involved a wide range of activities:
- Diagnosis of the current status of national nature destinations (field work, interviews and focus groups with local agents).
- Market research focusing on traveler experiences based on annual surveys of national and international tourists.
- National statistics data analysis (traveler’s origin, age, spending, satisfaction).
- Study compared with other similar destinations: benchmarking.
- Marketing strategy design and operative lines of action.